top of page
  • inashtukar

Documents Required for U.S. Citizenship Application

As part of the naturalization process, all U.S. citizenship applicants are required to provide supporting documents to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Which documents are necessary depends on each applicant’s situation. Green card holders applying for naturalization based on their marriage to a U.S. citizen, for instance, must provide additional documentation, such as a marriage certificate and their spouse’s U.S. passport. Not sure if you qualify for citizenship? Start by checking your eligibility. Applicants submit the supporting documents at different stages of the naturalization process. In the tables below, you’ll see which documents are required to be submitted with your Application for Naturalization (Form N-400) and naturalization checklist of which documents you must bring to your naturalization interview. Make sure to also check out our guide to creating digital documents the way the U.S. government prefers. If you don’t have all of these documents on hand, don’t worry! The good news is you can get started on your application now, while you gather your supporting documents. You don’t need every document to start making progress!

Form N-400 Required Documents

The documents listed below must be submitted with Form N-400. Proof of green card holder (permanent resident) status

  • Copy (front and back) of your green card (officially called the “Permanent Resident Card,” or Form I-551)

Application fee payment (except those who are exempt or applying for a fee waiver). Send one of the following:

  • Personal check (with your A-Number printed on the back)

  • Money order (with your A-Number printed on the back)

  • Credit card authorization form (Form G-1450, officially called the “e-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance”)

Proof of current marital status. Send copies of all of the following, if applicable:

  • Marriage certificates

  • Divorce papers

  • Annulment certificates

  • Death certificates

  • Other official records (such as a “Single Status Certificate” or “No Record of Marriage Certificate,” available from clerks/deputy clerks offices or the Secretary of State’s Apostille office in each state)

Proof of identity

  • Two passport-style photos (2 inches by 2 inches)

Proof of military service for those filing based on their qualifying military service

  • Form N-426 (officially called the “Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service”)

Proof of medical disability for those requesting an exemption from the citizenship test based on a qualifying medical condition

  • Form N-648 (officially called the “Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions”)

Applicants requesting a reduction of the citizenship application fee must submit a fee reduction application

  • Form I-942 (officially called the “Request for Reduced Fee”)

Applicants requesting a waiver of the citizenship application and biometrics fees must submit a fee waiver application

  • Form I-912 (officially called the “Request for Fee Waiver”)

Applicants who wish to be accompanied by an attorney or other representative at their U.S. citizenship interview, must submit a request for representation at the the naturalization interview

  • Form G-28 (officially called the “Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative”)

41 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page